Translate

13 April 2018

Rhythmic gymnast Amy Kwan Dict Weng wins bronze-medal in the individual all-around


Amy garners bronze thanks to hit song
Friday, 13 Apr 2018

Rhythmic gymnast Amy Kwan Dict Weng acknowledging the cheers after her bronze-medal finish in the individual all-around. -AFP



RHYTHMIC gymnast Amy Kwan Dict Weng turned to Christina Aguilera’s song “Fighter” for inspiration after disappointing attempts in the first two apparatus.

And that made all the difference as she came alive in the remaining two apparatus to win her first individual medal in the Commonwealth Games.

The 23-year-old bagged a bronze medal in the individual all-around with a combined sore of 51.500 points at the Coomera Indoor Sports Centre yesterday.

Amy scored a low 12.100 in the first apparatus, the hoop, and managed 12.250 in the ball and was lying in sixth spot.


“My coach (Lidia Legotina) and team manager (Corine Beh) came to me at that time and told me not to give up and fight until the end.

“My manager gave me a big hug. She told me that she has not seen the fire in me yet ... it gave me all the energy and motivation.”

Armed with renewed determination, Amy put up a spectacular show in the clubs to earn 14.200 points which propelled her to a medal position.

And she kept her cool in the ribbons with another energetic show for 12.950 points. That strong finish saw her pip Australia’s Enid Sung to the bronze.

Teammate Koi Sie Yan finished eighth with 48.050 after she fumbled in the clubs and ribbon.

Diamanto Evripidou of Cyprus bagged the gold with 55.750 points and Canada’s Katherine Uchida took the bronze with 52.650.

“I did not know I was fighting for bronze when I started my routine in ribbon. They put the wrong song but I remained calm and managed to pull off a good show,” she said.

“The clubs were my best though. I’m so happy to win my first individual medal in the Games.”

It is Amy’s third Commonwealth Games medal. She won a silver in the team on Wednesday and won a bronze medal in the team event at the 2014 Glasgow Games.

“I’ve won a silver and a bronze and tomorrow (today), I’ll go for gold. My teammates (Sie Yan and Izzah Amzan) will be involved in the apparatus final. We will fight until the end.” .


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/gymnastics/2018/04/13/prized-fighter-amy-garners-bronze-thanks-to-hit-song/#L1dGKe4PkMTP5cMx.99

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED