Translate

06 June 2016

Hillside Corner, Bukit Antarabangsa - A Cafe and Art Gallery that serves Good Western and Asian Cuisine at an affordable price.

I thought of having a lazy Sunday yesterday, till I had to meet some friends for a late tea session. Seeing that one of the person's  I had to meet has transport issues, I ended up going to Bukit Antarabangsa as we decided to meet at a little cafe called the Hillside Corner.

I arrived  about half an hour early, so i decided to order a Carrot Cake and Nescafe whilst waiting for my guest to arrive.

The Carrot Cake was so delicious I actually gobbled it down within 5 minutes! I just could not stop. Without realizing it, when I finished the cake I was scraping the crumbs from the saucer, I was not going to waste one morsel. I then looked at my nescafe and i was so sure they were not gonna get the taste right, but i  was so wrong. The Nescafe Tarik was perfect, just as it was supposed to be frothy, milky with just the right sweetness.



As I was enjoying my carrot cake and nescafe I noticed that the other customers around included some well known VIP's, one of them being the Ex Inspector General of Police.  A lady walked by and she gave me this warm smile with half a wave, I later learnt she was the owners wife. This place seemed to be the like the restaurant version of the "Cheers" Bar on tv. A neighbourhood cafe "Where everyone knew everyone"!  A simple restaurant with a whole lot of vip's.

The wall decked with the painting of Mr. David Yong
Now the cafe is very simple with basic table, chairs and not very fancy but strangely it was quite cosy. No Television Sets, but the walls are decorated by by many paintings which I later learnt was done by the owner Mr. David Yong himself and is actually for sale. The owner has done many art shows and is quite an established painter. The owner David is very friendly person, I found myself calling  him "Uncle", that's is something I don't normally do, but this husband and wife team of Mr and Mrs Yong were such warm people it just came out naturally.


I was curious about this cafe and decided we should do an impromptu food review. We ordered about 10 dishes .

I had a chat with the friends I was supposed to meet and two of them were long term loyal customers of the cafe. They were full of praise of the cafe and it's owners, sharing years of experience they have had. We ended up  ordering even more food on their recommendation. One of them said that as her daughter was growing up, she used to crave for the Mushroom Soup, so for years almost everyday they would be the first customers at the door of the cafe. You could see the warm relationship the owners of the cafe had with their customers. Then the food started to come and we decided to dig in.

The Mushroom Soup that came ranks among the best I have had, from the first spoon full you knew it was homemade and not out of a can 
Hillside Corner Mushroom Soup



We then tried the Tom Yam Soup and it was really tasty with the right amount of heat and delicious prawns and full of other ingrediens. Each spoon full was pure pleasure.

I was told we had to try the number 1 crowd favourite of most of the regulars that came by  which included  a Sultan, the Nasi Goreng Kampung. The Nasi Goreng at Hard Rock  KL is still my number one, but priced at RM13.00 it was as delicious too. With the nice cruch of ikan bilis with every mouthfull.



The Udang masak Asam Pedas was fabulous and they  really did not stinge on the prawns. I really enjoyed this dish


The fish curry was tasty and went well with the nasi goreng kampung or white rice.



The Fried Mee Hoon was simply delicious and if you liked it spicy you could just add some cili padi to it.


The Fettucine Carbonara with Sausage sounded dodgy at first but it was so good. The sausages and sauce were so full of flavor. The sauce was not too watery and had the right consistency.


The Cantonese Kuey Teow was very delicious with loads of ingredients. The sauce was well blended and tasty. I am quite sure there was no MSG here.


The Chilly Corn Carne came highly recommended together with the Beef Nachos and Taco. However we decided to taste the Chilly Corn Carne  and we were not disappointed. I can see myself digging into this with the corn chips while watching the coming Euro 2016. It was fabulous.



The Spaghetti was really good, however some adults might find the sauce sweet, but we are told for years this item has been a favourite of most of the kids.


The Hillside Cafe is very well known for it's Western Menu and from the food we saw other guest having it looked really good. We just simply did not have much space left to taste all the dishes on the Western Menu. The regulars favourites include the Black Pepper Steak, Pies, Chicken Wings, Grilled Lamb and Grilled Chicken Chop. 


After sampling all the food it was clear to me,  this cafe was all about comfort food and warm owners who understand hospitality  & making guest feel very welcome. Who needs the frills when you have this. Most of the sauces were homemade and ingredients as fresh as you can get them. The owners make it a great dining experience when they go table to table to ensure all are satisfied. 

BESTFBKL highly recommends this cafe, if you are near Bukit Antarabangsa or on the MRR2 do a pit stop for some great comfort food. Prices are extremely reasonable especially for the western cuisine. You will NOT be disappointed. The Owner describes his cafe as A Restaurant, Cafe and Art Gallery!




This is a really nice view of the cafe, picture courtesy of Isaactan.net.


Hillside Corner Restaurant, No. 12, Jalan Wangsa 2,
Taman Wangsa Ukay, Bukit Antarabangsa

11.30 am - 11.00 pm.


Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED